Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Showered with Blessings

Last weekend was busy. I woke up before the sun on Saturday to volunteer at a rummage sale fundraiser for a local non-profit. I'm a board member of that organization so I was happy to help, just really tired.

I found myself embodying Kungfu Panda near the entrance as people tried to leave the sale that way. Last year, we had traffic issues and couldn't be certain that people paid for things when they tried to exit through the entrance. Anyway, how many different ways can you tell the incoming crowd about the exit location? I felt like a tour guide at a busy theme park, like a broken record.

As I walked through the sale, Aerosmith's song "Dream On" kept playing in my head. All the cute clothes looked so cute because it was so small. I checked out the same skirt at least twice, wondering why I didn't consider it more seriously the first time, then checked the size, size 4. Oh, okay, that was why. A great number of people turned out for the event so the non-profits (there are a few besides my organization) should receive a nice donation from the university.

After the sale, I was able to see a dear friend of mine. I met this friend when I worked part time at the local university's Psychology Building. It had been two years since we'd seen each other. Wendy is destined to be a published author. Hopefully, her future success will motivate me to finish some of my musings. Wendy gave baby Jack some wonderful gifts including a cute outfit. Of course, seeing her was the best present. And I couldn't believe how old her two boys were. Wow, I remember holding the youngest one when he was just a baby. Man, doesn't that make a person feel old.

My family hosted a baby shower for Jack on Sunday. I had been really bad for two weeks, checking the registry and worrying that very few people would come because not that many items were checked off. It would have been sad if there had been lots of no-shows. Silly worries. It was almost like a family reunion minus most of the boys. A lot of my relatives and friends came. It was so nice to see everyone.

I enjoyed seeing everyone at the shower, but I'm relieved that it's over. It's humbling to think that so many people came to see Jack and bought him things that he needs. But what do you say to that? "Thank you" didn't seem enough. I like to be on the other side, bestowing gifts on family and friends.

We also saw Mike's family at the shower. Our little nephew, Dalton, is a cutie patootie with blue eyes and light, curly blonde hair. He's going to be a heart breaker. His daddy would say, "One, two, three" and Dalton would yell, "Go!"

Tonight, I received an invitation to a friend's baby shower. I look forward to showering her with some blessings in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

EE said...

I'm so sad that we were unable to come to the shower. I was so anxious to meet your families and friends.
Glad you raked it in with all the gifts...you deserve it!!!!!!