Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Little Fish


Jack started swimming lessons last Saturday. The facility lets babies take their first lessons at the age of six months. Of course, we didn't do a whole lot. The idea is to get babies used to the water. I think Mike and I had more fun than Jack. We did submerge him very quickly a couple of times. The part I loved the most was walking backwards through this little water walkway with Jack laying on my stomach. It was so peaceful and he seemed to enjoy himself.

Like most parents, it's important for me that my child learns how to swim someday. It's especially important to me because my mom doesn't know how to swim. Growing up, I often wondered as we drove over river bridges how I would save my mom if a freak accident occurred sending our vehicle over the edge. Would I be able to drag her to the surface? Mom tried taking a water exercise class several years ago but the instructor took the participants into the deeper part of the pool and left her behind in the shallow end. Needless to say, she stopped going.

Jack has six more lessons to go. Perhaps my little fish can teach Big Fish (grandma) how to swim someday.

1 comment:

EE said...

Is that a speedo I see????????????