Friday, March 11, 2011

Speaking about adoption

We have told Jack about his beautiful adoption story since he was a baby and we are doing the same with Liam. Jack has some understanding of what adoption means. I know more will sink in as he grows older. Last night, we were talking about birth moms. I mentioned his birth mother's name. "Can I keep her?" he asked. His words were cute and bittersweet at the same time. Of course, I told him. She will always be Jack's mother. And he can always call and visit her. That is why an open relationship in adoption is such a beautiful thing. With this kind of relationship, adoption is not an ending but rather a beginning. The family tree becomes a family forrest with its branches intertwined, embraced by the love that beams from within.

I know there are some adoption situations where an open relationship might not work. We have been blessed to be on the other end of that spectrum.

No comments: