Monday, March 28, 2011

The "Real" Conversation

I was talking to a second cousin of mine this weekend. He was saying how he thought Liam looked like Mike. I grinned and proudly told him that we had finalized Liam's adoption a couple of weeks ago. "He's not your real son?" he asked. I was taken aback, although I'm not sure why. This isn't the first time someone has reponded this way, but I thought my cousin knew about the adoption. I'm pretty sure his mother knows. "He is our real son," I replied. "He is officially our son."

Mike thinks I make a mountain out of a mole hill when this type of question irks me but I can't help it. The love I feel for my sons is as real as any love parents may feel towards their biological children. When my son cries, I am there to comfort him. When he is hungry, I feed him. When he wants to play, I'm his instant playmate. In any kind of situation I am going to be there for him because I AM his real mother. He just happens to have two mothers who love him very much.

No comments: