Thursday, May 1, 2008

Signs and Wonders

What does a misplaced balloon in a large discount store mean?

I believe God has a sense of humor. I think I've seen this throughout Jack's adoption. I also like to think that my two grandmothers, one whom I never met, have been praying for us and maybe even pulling a few strings.

Mike and I met Jack's birth mother on Friday, July 13. A stereotypical scary pairing of the day of the week and the number 13 turned out to be one of the most incredible days of our lives.

I worked part-time for several months at a large discount store. Although I disliked the work, it kept me busy for a while and brought in a little cash. During my "short time in hell," I met a woman named Danna.

If you know me, you've heard my "difficulty becoming pregnant" story. Sorry, but it's been a big part of who I am for the past several years. Well, I told Danna about my difficulties and she confided that she gets "feelings" about people and has "dreams" about them. Danna told me that she'd let me know if she had any dreams.

Not too long after that discussion, Danna told me that I would have a baby. I tried not to laugh. I told her she must mean Maggie from China because nothing would spring forth from my dust covered uterus. She just smiled, saying she didn't know how a baby would come into my life. Not too many days after that discussion, I saw a forlone balloon in the ladies clothing area. It was a white/blue balloon with a teddy bear and the text, "It's a boy!" We knew after that initial meeting with the birth mother that she was going to have a boy.

That balloon stayed around for a while. Eventually, it was placed in one of the return bins. Every night when I took misplaced items from our area to the return bins, I would see that balloon and just smile, at that point, thinking of the little boy who might become our future son.

No comments: