Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Estate Sale

Today, I saw someone I hadn't seen in a couple of years. She has a wonderful spirit, full of life, energy and optimism. She could be a spiritual advisor. During our talk, we discussed what was truly important in life. She told me what a friend once told her. You know what estate sales are? Well, they're basically one day of selling everything that you've collected in a lifetime. Poof, just like that, a lifetime is sold. Think about what's important in life. You can spend your whole life collecting junk or you can concentrate your time and effort on the more important elements like family, friends.

That is exactly what I tried explaining the other night during my prayer with Jack. I asked him to thank God for what he was thankful for. He said, "Piggy, bear, Kirby," some of his stuffed animals. Very cute. That is his world right now. I gently pointed out that friends and family are the important things in our lives. Without them, life would be rather lonely.

My friend also mentioned that she had been in an accident when she was a young girl. The accident almost guaranteed that she wouldn't be able to have children. From that young age her father told her to look around, all the children in the world were her children. She could help care for and love them.

I was in tears by the end of our talk.

No comments: