Friday, September 24, 2010

Sad News

We had to put our cat, Maxwell Octavious, Max for short, down this afternoon. Poor little guy. He had a problem with his colon and hadn't been eating or going to the bathroom very well for days. We adopted him from the Humane Society more than seven years ago so we never knew how old he really was. Because of his small Persian nose, he was a proficient snorer. His greetings to me used to sound like he was saying in a drawn out voice, "Mom." It wasn't until tonight that I realized I hadn't heard him say that in a while.

It's pretty hard holding your kitty and knowing that they are not going to be with you much longer, but, I think it's only fair that they have someone they know and trust with them in the end. Before the shots were administered, I sat with Max for a little while in the veterinarian's lobby. One customer addressed us, saying, "Poor kitty, sick?" I tried to croak out, "He's going to heaven," but the guy didn't hear me and said, "Get better soon kitty." Thankfully, the staff took pity on me and let me sit in a back room with Max.

I heard Chicago's "Hard Habit to Break" song this afternoon and it made me cry, like pretty much everything else today.

I guess I thought you'd be here forever.
Another illusion I chse to create.
You don't know what ya got until it's gone
And I found out a little too late.

I know Max is in heaven which is obviously a much better place than here but I was totally unprepared for his condition today. He was supposed to go in for dental work. He wasn't supposed to be in so much pain that he needed to be put down. Here's hoping that some of the images from the following poem come true someday.

Rainbow Bridge
author unknkown

 Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.


When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....


Max, please find your sisters, Precious and Pixie and wait for me.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sorry for your loss, Rosemary. My heart aches for you. I know how hard it is to lose a pet/family member. Hugs.