Saturday, September 19, 2009

Carnival Fun

Last night, Jack and I headed to his birth mom's hometown. Every year, their high school has a carnival to raise money for the yearbook. (The school will not allow the kids to sell ads.) They also crown a carnival princess and Jack's aunt was one of the four young women up for the honor. The carnival consisted of lots of fun games for the kids to enjoy. Of course, the little kid inside of me couldn't wait to play the dart and hoop game along with Jack's great grandma. (They were out of cakes at the cake walk when we arrived. Bummer.) This allowed Jack's birthmom plenty of time to introduce him to her friends.

We also saw great grandpa who is out of the hospital. Unfortunately, Jack's aunt did not win, but that means she can be up for homecoming. So, we hope some other royal title will be bestowed upon her at a later date. I scored a sequined crown from one of Jack's uncles. Jack is still too young to be horrified and embarrassed by my weirdness. Also, he had a sucker in his mouth so he was happy at the time.The town and school are very cute, fairly small with a charming hometown feel. The school even had a spotlight for the ceremonies (see below). Since I'm from a small town myself, I was eating all this up, having a really good time.This is a picture of Jack's aunt's back. Either her nails or hugs from well wishers created this torture. She had on fake nails for the occasion so I bet she did most of this herself. Looks painful but she was in good spirits even when she discovered that she hadn't won the title. She was so beautiful.A really horrible story about last night. We rode back to our car in Jack's great grandma's car. We took all of our stuff out, I closed the back door and started heading to my car with his grandma and uncle. Well, somehow, I slammed grandpa's fingers in the door. Not sure how that happened since he was sitting in front, but I felt horrible and embarrassed. I thought, of all things, grandpa doesn't need more pain. Also, he is having surgery on his leg next week.

*As always, these pictures are published with permission from Jack's birth mother.

1 comment:

EE said...

Awesome photos! Glad you all got to spend time with BM and her fam.
I like the dart game, too!